Every year around the holidays, you can find my son in the kitchen with powdered sugar coated hands, baking these classic, gluten-free Russian Tea Cakes. They're so easy to make but SO delicious to have around.
These sweet treats make the perfect gift or compliment to the dessert table as a gluten-free option. Pair them with a lavender or lemon tea and create a Devine occasion for family, friends or a warm night on your own.
- 3/4 cup finely chopped nuts*
- 1 cup soft butter or margarine or vegan shortening
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1.5 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/3 cup Snacktivist® Foods AP Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar (reserved for after the cookies have been baked
* A mixture of walnuts and pecans creates a warm, rich flavor. You can get creative with pistachios, hazelnuts and other nuts, too!
1 BOWL METHOD:
- In a large food processor, finely chop the nuts to course meal.
- Add in remaining ingredients (minus the finishing sugar reserved for later)
- Pulse until a smooth dough forms.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place on parchment lined baking sheets
- Bake at 400º for 10-12 minutes.
- Roll warm cookies in remaining powdered sugar
- Cool on wired rack.
- Roll in sugar again after cooling for a sweeter cookie.
These cookies were created using our all purpose whole grain flour mix. It has a higher percentage of brown, white and sweet rice flours than our other products giving it a lighter color and flavor. Find it, here!
Warm winter wishes,