Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake
In honor of Veganuary, I made a chocolate cake this weekend from the blog Jessica in the Kitchen, using our Snacktivist flour. Check out the recipe below!
Product used in this recipe:
Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake
Joni Kindwall-Moore (Inspired by recipe from Jessica in the Kitchen)
I found this recipe from Jessica in the Kitchen and modified it to use our All-Purpose Whole Grain Flour Blend (our flour is gluten-free by the way!).
My family absolutely LOVED the cake...they have already requested I make it again! The cake was moist and full of chocolaty goodness. I honestly cannot explain how good this recipe is. You'll just have to try it for yourself. Big shoutout to Jessica in the Kitchen for putting together such an amazing dessert!
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup soy milk or other vegan milk
- 2 cups sugar (400g)
2 cups Snacktivist Foods All-Purpose Whole Grain Flour Blend (240g)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (60g)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 teaspoons oil(100g + 2 teaspoons)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water + 1 tbsp instant coffee mixed in until dissolved )stir these together right before you need it so it's still hot)
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted vegan butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- 2 1/2 cups to 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup vegan milk + 1 tablespoon extra if needed
Vegan chocolate frosting
- Grease and flour two 9” cake pans and line with parchment paper. It’s essential so that the cake doesn’t stick. If making an 8" cake, check the notes.
- Heat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- In a small bowl, add the apple cider vinegar and the soy milk together and stir to combine. It will curdle. Set aside.
- Whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. Add milk mixture, oil and vanilla and the coffee water. Beat with an electric whisk on medium speed for about 2 minutes until everything is just combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir one more time to ensure everything is incorporated.
- Pour the batter equally into the cake pans and bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour in the pan on a wire rack before removing from the pan and to the wire rack to cool completely.
Making the chocolate frosting
Add the cocoa powder, vegan butter, 2 1/2 cups of the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, sea salt and half the vegan milk to the bowl of an electric stand mixer or a hand mixer. Start mixing it together at slow speed, gradually increasing speed until it’s very thick and smooth. Add the 1/2 cup of the extra powdered sugar at a time until it reaches your desired thickness and consistency. If needed, add in the other half of the milk about 1 tablespoon at a time.
Assembling the cake
- Place 1 of the fully cooled cakes on a platter (or any plate wide enough) and dollop half of the frosting on top. Cover the top and the sides, distributing it equally. P
- Place the remaining cake upside down on top of the frosted cake and spread the remaining frosting on the top and sides, blending the upper and lower portions of the sides as you go.
- If you're using 3 layers, do the same, but split into thirds instead.
- Decorate with some shaved chocolate or extra cocoa powder! The frosting sets at room temperature perfectly. Slice and enjoy!
You can also make this cake with three 8" cake pans. Bake it for about 30 to 35 minutes!
For more insights from the master herself, check out Jessica's recipe blog by clicking here.